THE ULALENA MAUI MARATHON WARRIOR CHALLENGE
Kukini “runner or swift messenger” were an elite class of men selected by the Ali’i to undergo strenuous physical and mental training to become swift foot runners. Such runners were used to carry messages between Ali’i living in different locations, call upon warriors in battles, and as athletes in ancient foot racing games. Stories of old was told Kukini would go for runs throughout villages spread miles apart, returning in time to unload a canoe. Thus foot race among the Kukini took place.
The 4th Annual Maui Marathon Warrior Challenge, an event like no other on the islands. Athletes daring to take the challenge will be tested by their physical and mental aptitude.
To become a Kukini Half Marathon Warrior, you must complete the Maui Tacos 5k and Bubba Gumps Run Forest Run Front Street Mile on Saturday the 21st, and run the Maui Half Marathon on Sunday the 22nd. To become a Kukini Full Marathon Warrior, you must complete the Hard Rock Cafe 10k and Bubba Gumps Run Forest Run Front Street Mile on Saturday the 21st, and run the Maui Marathon on Sunday the 22nd.
If you complete all three races, you will receive a special Warrior Challenge Race Medal and T-shirt and more:
FULL Marathon Warrior Challenge – $220,
HALF Marathon Warrior Challenge – $200
Race will include:
- Race Registration for Maui Tacos 5k or Hard Rock 10K, Bubba Gumps Run Forest Run Front Street Mile, and the Maui HALF Marathon or FULL Marathon
- Special bib number for all three races
- Commemorative Race Shirts for Maui Marathon, 5k, 10K, Front Street Mile, and Warrior Challenge
- Goody Bag
- Maui Marathon Health & Fitness Expo
- On Course Refreshments
- Post-Race Refreshments
- Post Marathon Awards Party with live entertainment and recognition
- Ulalena Warrior Challenge Paina (free pupus, dinner,entertainment and show) at the Maui Theatre in Lahaina, right after the Front Street Mile. Free for Warriors and one guest only. Each additional guest is $35. From 5:00pm-7:00pm. Free shuttle back to Whalers Village.
- Post-Race web site with direct access to your race photos and results.
- All runners who complete the Warrior Challenge will receive the special Warrior Challenge Race medal in addition to the Maui Marathon or Half Marathon medal! (Please note that although warrior medals are given out at marathon finish, if you have not completed all three events, you will not receive the warrior medal. Participation will be verified after the Bubba Gump Front Street Mile.)
You must register for the Warrior Challenge Race to receive the Special Medal and t-shirt upon completion of all three races
(1) HALF Marathon or FULL Marathon
(2) 5k or 10k
Taro Pork Slider – Kalua style pulled pork, shaved pineapple, served on a warm Taro roll
Goat Cheese Wrap – A delicious mixture of oven poached chicken, dried cranberries, goat cheese, onions, dill, and celery
Pasta Options :
Traditional – Cavatappi pasta sauced with Marinara, served with Chicken
Pesto Pasta – Penne Pasta tossed in a light Pesto Sauce
Veggie Pasta – Bowtie pasta mixed with a light garlic sauce, red bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms